Recipe Post • Butternut Squash Soup
We have a recipe for Broccoli Cheddar Soup that we absolutely love. The recipe starts with a base and my love decided that it smells so good that we should be able to substitute the broccoli with whatever we want. Our first substitute is squash and we are very pleased with how delicious it turned out. It’s also perfect for fall.
Butternut Squash Prep: Cut it in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, place it cut side down in a 9×13” dish and cover it with a little more than an inch of water. Place in an oven preheated to 350° until its fork-tender (1 to 1.5 hours). The skin should be easy to remove.
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 2 cups Half-and-Half
- 3 cups Chicken Broth
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1 butternut squash cooked and pealed
- 2 1/2 cups grated sharp white and yellow cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Melt butter in large dutch oven. Add onion and cook till tender.
2. Whisk flour and cook until golden (3-4 minutes) till tender.
3. Gradually whisk half-and-half until smooth. Add chicken broth , bay leaves and nutmeg. Season with sea salt and pepper
4. Bring to low simmer, reduce heat to med-low and cook uncovered, until thickened. (20 min)
5. Add squash, bring to a simmer again. (20 min)
6. Remove bay leaves.
7. Puree soup until smooth and return to pot.
8. Add cheese to soups and whisk over medium heat until melted.
More to come,